The city of Los Angeles has a long history of failing to protect its citizens. Continuing in this tradition, Los Angeles moves again to take more rights away from the law abiding citizens.
In December, I wrote about new anti-gun legislation being proposed by the Los Angeles city council, and that no one took the time to show up and speak out against the new proposals. The ordinance later passed bringing the following new rules to the law abiding citizens of L.A.:
- a ban on the sale of .50 ammunition
- a requirement that anyone selling any ammunition be licensed by the city
- a ban on mail-order and Internet sales of ammunition
- an inventory of all firearms held by a dealer must be forwarded to the LAPD twice each year
- prohibition on “secret compartments” for guns in vehicles (i.e. a gun lock box)
- allows landlords to evict tenants who are convicted of illegally possessing a firearm or ammunition
While California looks to release “tens of thousands” of convicts from prison because they cannot afford to keep them, the city of L.A. continues its march on the liberties of its law abiding citizens. L.A. is now proposing new anti-gun legislation that would make it illegal for a citizen to possess a firearm or ammunition if they were convicted of an enumerated misdemeanor offense.
It has long been held that misdemeanor offenses do not disbar an U.S. citizen from exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights. Over the years, however, this has been chipped away. The most notable example is the misdemeanor domestic violence conviction disability passed by the U.S. Congress in the 1990′s. This, however, is even more egregious, as a mere city is now disbarring the rights of a free citizen from the exercise of his or her Second Amendment rights.
Let me be clear: the war on gun rights and all freedoms is on. This battle is in Los Angeles. The next battle will be in your town. Please get involved! The prior rights grab in December was unanimously approved, and no voices of opposition were present. Do not let the current attack go unchallenged.