DeWalt AR-15 Nail Gun: Great Gag!

For those of you that have not yet seen it, meet the DeWalt AR-15 nail gun:

Dewalt AR15 nail gun

Someone released a photo of their AR-15 rifle made up as a DeWalt nail gun. Personally, I love the originality behind it. As one forum poster observed, it should be a DeWalt ‘Tack Driver’.

When I originally posted this DeWalt AR-15 nail gun several years ago, I had no idea it would become such a popular post.  It has actually become one of the most read pages on the GunsHolstersAndGear.com website.  I still chuckle about how viral this photo has gone.

Dewalt AR15

Also, if you have not already done so, please read through the comments on this thread and join in on the discussion about this rifle.  There is quite a bit of lively chatter regarding its status as an M16, M4 or AR15.  Also, which version of which gun… for example:  if it is an M4, is it an M4A2 or M4A3.  I find it all humorous, and I hope you do as well.

DeWalt AR-15 rifle nail gun

I’m curious: have you ever done anything like this to dress up your gun?  Would you consider a Black & Decker paint scheme?  How about a Chevy or Ford styling?  The truth is a lot of people like to customize their firearms to give them a unique feel and flair.

Gun companies have cashed in on this in the past, creating limited or special edition runs of some firearms.  You may have seen some manufacturers rolling out everything from Texas commemoratives to zombie guns.  Sometimes these guns carry some collector value, but mostly they are simply an option for someone that wants to stand out from the crowd.  Since many gun owners are independent minded, adding a little flair to their rifles make sense.

What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done to dress up one of your guns?

Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 Rifle Scope

leupold mk ar rifle scopeWithout a doubt, Leupold is the premier name in rifle scopes.  If you want the best glass for your AR-style rifle, this is the scope you must have.  This tactical scope is extremely durable and the optics are amazing.  The bonus is the incredible pricing and that it is made in the USA.
About Richard Johnson

Richard Johnson is a gun writer, police trainer and really bad joke teller. Check out his other writing in Combat Handguns, Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, on The Firearm Blog and at BlueSheepdog.

Comments

1. Richard Walker says:

Go DeWalt – build it – I think it might sell aLOT better than the radio/charger – especially if even marginally functional!

2. that’s actually not an ar15, it’s an m16. i know, because it’s mine.

it’s not a tack driver, i have other guns for that :)

• “M16″ is the military designation for the ar-15. It featured a fixed stock, non-adjustable rear sight, a triangular hand guard, and a full auto trigger group. If your rifle doesnt have these things its not an “M16″, its just an ar-15.

• The only m-16 / m-4 that has full auto are the a1′s
        All others have semi and 3 shot burst

• M16A3[edit]

The M16A3 is a select-fire variant of the M16A2 adopted in small numbers around the time of the introduction of the M16A2, primarily by the U.S. Navy for use by SEAL, Seabee, and Security units.[97] It features the M16A1 trigger group providing “safe”, “semi-automatic”, and “fully automatic” modes.

I was a Gunners mate Attached to Naval mobile construction battalion 1 and we had full auto a3. Do some research before trying to state a fact

• Armytazman says:

The triangular guard is on the M16 A1, generally referred to as the Vietnam era M16. The M16 A2 has a rounded hand guard. The front and rear sights are adjustable on both, and the trigger selection for the military is single shot, burst and safe. So by your definition the m16 models I was trained on and still use in the army and issued to us as M16′s aren’t M16′s. In truth it actually looks like a M4. Another weapon widely used by the military. All of these weapons can and are modified by the military to make them have a longer life. That is only my opinion. Even though if you look at the facts on wiki and other resources you will find it to be truthful and not full of hot air like what some others have posted.

• Actually as a weapons expert in the United States Marine Corps I can tell you that this resembles the M-16 A4 service rifle. The hand guards are circular and usually has rails for accessories. The barrel was reduced in length for close quarters combat. The collapsible butt stock was added for the same reason. That is just the physical appearance changes not including other modifications.

• Silly people, the only difference between an m-16 and ar-15 is that the m-16 had a auto (later 3 round burst) selection

• James Jackson says:

This is a nail gun. Thus it’s not any version of the ‘m’ series or ‘ar’ series rifles. Retards.

• So can I buy one somewhere? My dad would love this! You should sell them out your house if possible.

• how do i purchase one of these

3. Well Dave, you might want to see whats been ciculating throughout all LE agencies in the country:

The ‘unamed agency’ is Sacramento SO.

4. I’ve seen the memo from Sacramento SO. Totally silly. I can’t believe someone took the time to type that up AND send it out to other law enforcement agencies.

5. Actually, it’s an M4 carbine because of the short hand grip and the short-ish barrel (16″). A real M-16 has a 20-24″ barrel and longer hand grip.

Cool, none the less.

6. It could be an M16 A4, barrel length has nothing to do with it. You have to see the internal parts to really tell.

7. M16? No. An M16 has rifle length handguards, a 20″ barrel (pictured is a 16″), and doesn’t come with a carbon composite lower (which shoot like junk, btw).

That’s an attempt at an M4 carbine forgery. If a dealer told you that it’s an M16, you’ve been duped.

Like that 3-shot burst? ;)

8. my bad…that MAY be a 14.5″ barrel.

Anyway, enough of that. Just trying to straighten out some comments.

9. With all the laws looking to be passed that take away gun owners rights, a “tool” like that would be a nice altrnative to have around the house.

10. -dan z- says:

I once bought some ammo from a private party via the internet. He shipped it to me via UPS with the contents of the package listed as “single-use high-speed hole punches.”

-dan z-

11. Soldier says:

In reference to “It could be an M16 A4, barrel length has nothing to do with it. You have to see the internal parts to really tell.” you are an idiot. the only difference between an M16 and an M4 mechanically IS the barrel (with short hand guards), the stock, and the carry handle. the lower receiver is the same for both.

I’m not entierly sure what that is the upper reciever is not that of an M4, which the carry handle should be removable. it is illegal for a civilian to own an M4. (gun laws require all rifles to be a minimum length of 26″ with a barrel length of no less than 16″) And not too many government agencies permit that kind of customization

12. Lt. Passmore says:

Any Civilian Authorized Rifle Model M-16 or M-4 is an AR-15, that’s simply the Civilian Model, an M-16 is Illegal unless Modified with a Redone Reciever to make it Semi-Auto, Unless you have a Class-3 Liscence, which are Incredibly rare, and Finding a full auto-rifle Dealer, even with your Liscence, is still a Major Challange, the Article writer is Correct:AR-15.

• Hate to tell you all but the one is a short barrel rifle (sbr) and they are both select fire. Full auto or not they’re at least m16s! There is a way to tell by lookin at the pics.

13. I would buy one of these in a heart beat! Could you “accidentally” shoot a trespassing neighbor with one of these I wonder? Ha, Ha…

14. This IS NOT and M16 or M4. This a AR15

• NO they’re not! They are registered full auto lowers. They are select fire lowers. I can tell by the pics. Ar15 is semi only

15. Soldier, you said: “I’m not entierly sure what that is the upper reciever is not that of an M4, which the carry handle should be removable. it is illegal for a civilian to own an M4. (gun laws require all rifles to be a minimum length of 26? with a barrel length of no less than 16?) And not too many government agencies permit that kind of customization” You can get a shortened weapon, and a full auto weapon. What you need to do is fill out a class-3 form 1, have it signed by your local Chief LEO, send it out to BATFE, with $200 for each of the restrictions put in place by the National Firearms Act of 1934, and then they process it, send back a stamp tax (which, from what I hear, takes a looooong time to get), and then you can purchase/modify, as the case may be, the desired firearms, and voila! A gun that people will say that you’re an idiot for having, because they haven’t taken the time to learn their gun laws. Moral of this story: Don’t call someone an idiot until you have all the facts, because someone from, oh say, Canada, may come in and show that you’re the one that’s actually the idiot for running their mouth when they don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.

• bahahahah says:

thats a lie you can get any gun u want depending on the state u live in long as you have deep pockets. i can buy an ar fully automatic with a short barrell and a supressor if i have the right tax stamps you are allowed to have sbr’s just have to get a tax stamp

16. It is not an M-16 that is for sure M-4 or some variant near of it
    shortened barrel and adjustable buttstock gives that away but since it’s a civilian model it is a AR-15 depending on which stay he/she lives in it could have been an M-4 of some type.

• These are NOT civilian models!!! Why you people think this??

• They do this because it’s a hobby. If someone makes something resembling something else people will relate to what it looks like. I do understand where your coming from.

17. PFC.Anderson 35F says:

dave i hate to tell you this it is an M4A1 i should know because that is the weapon i am assigned. 5.56x45mm Colt armament built but is an AR-15 ( Armalite weapons industries)design created by Eugene Stoner of Armalite’s research and developement sector. effective to 200 meters but i wouldnt try anything past 175. it has terrible bullet drop at 300 meters (some 22 inches from straight aim point) and the round is too light for any long range shots, the wind easily blows it off course. i personally am an M-14 lover the 7.62x51mm boasts tremendous fire power and great accuracy to ranges triple that of an M-4. At 400 mm the bullet drop out of a full length M-14 barrel (~22 inches) is about 2.1 inches and it is less effected by wind.

18. Racer Travis says:

Ladies and Gentlemen, Service members,
    I believe we have discussed past the fact this is just a really cool looking tool. I am sure the public appreciates your passion for weapons.

Semper Fi

19. Desert-Rose-8 says:

I just want the directions so I can build mine. Also, look what Dave Canterbury, outdoorsman/surivial expert did with a sling shot. Easy modification, and you can betcha I have one now.

20. I just want to know where to get mine!

21. I don’t care what kind of rifle it is…I WANT IT!

22. plumbarias1 says:

I’m going to try to make one , I have alot of spare parts around , its just too cool not to try

23. ghoul88 says:

please list where i can purchase one of these for my home improvement/defense projects

24. That is a M4A2. It has a 16 inch barrel and the carbine foregrip. It also has a fixed carry handle, the M4A3 has a detachable carry handle.

25. Hook of the Claw says:

None of you wannabe mall-ninjas know what it is ‘cuz you aint been in the shit! If you were a real operator like me, you’d be all hardcore with a manly beard and swagger.

That is clearly an XM4-5 chambered in the highly-awesome 5.57 caliber (notice how its one bigger than the 5.56?) and limited only to tank mechanics in the Navy SEALs deployed to Iran last year in Team 28. If you kids were operators like me, you would have known that.

Ranger up!!

26. Cody Fortenberry says:

guys, civilians CAN own an M4. Its called a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) which is a class 3 weapon. You can legally own one so long as it is regestered and you pay the class 3 transfer fee.

27. Mounta1neer says:

Looks like a real tack driver to me…

28. I’m calling bullshit on this. for starters its not an M16/AR15 anything. If you want to be all douchey about weapons designations the M16, M16a1, M16a2, M16a3, M16a4, M4, and M4a1 are all specifically made rifles/carbines for the military and have specific features to model number that this custom rifle does not have. Its only an AR15 truly if its a civilian model made by colt and marked that way. its an AR type rifle. The other issue i have is how does it fire nails because unless you forgot how weapons work the only thing special about this weapon is it has a battery shoved in the mag well. how do you feed the nails? individually maybe. I say post a video of it firing because otherwise its just a nice AR with some yellow paint and a battery for some reason.

29. OneUS-Marine says:

What? Really….

30. I want to see a Dewalt 249…

31. Please please please build it! I gotta have one!!!

32. I am just thinking…when you have an intruder nailed against the wall and your family has no harm…does it really matter what kind of weapon you used?

33. okay we can end this argument now I spent 6 years as a small arms repair technician for United States Marine Corps if it were a real gun it would be an m4 carbine. the internal workings for the m16 A2 A4 are the samethe only difference between the two are cosmetic changes today in a couple the Picatinny rail system which is on the A4 not the a2 and the replacement of the heat shields on the a4 compared to the a to which was widely used in Vietnam as well as the A1. now the M 4 instead of having a six inch barrel protruding from the heat shield it has a3 inch barrel the max effective range between the two is about 200 yards it has a retractable but stock and again if its fully automatic it is the m4a1 series if it has a closed heat shield is the m4A2 and as it is present in it is more closely related to the m4 carbine

34. Are you kidding me!?!?!? Your arguing about the designation, which doesn’t matter, but your all missing the dumb dewalt battery in the magwell.

All AR rifles and carbines are select fire, its how the safety works. it moves from safe to semi. or safe – semi – burst. or safe – semi – full. anyone can put triggers in lowers, an M4A1 with a semi only trigger still says M4A1 on the side – I’ve seen it, the engraving doesn’t magically change

The model number, like M4 or M16, are given by manufactures and the military. A custom built AR is called whatever the person who made it calls it.

35. m16-20in barrel, mid length gas system front sight post, m4A1-same, with 16 inch barrel, m4a2-carry handle 16in carbine length, m4a3-flat top upper, no carry handle same as A2, it was originally called an AR-15 or (Automatic Rifle 15) by Stoner, the military designated it the m16, same as a beretta is an M92, a colt is an M11, a SAW is an M249, the M is just the military designation number, unless it’s a service weapon, full auto, select fire, carry handle, no carry handle, sbr, stupidly long, it’s still an AR15

36. Thomas L. Kedrowitz says:

I stll don’t see a price for this . I would really like to have one.

37. LapElectricInAz says:

You guys are all wrong. That’s an Ak 47 ;)

38. the daz says:

ahhhhhhhhhh don’t care the cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just gimmie gimmie gimmie

39. charles shaffer says:

is it real and is it for retail sale and if so how much is it???

40. noodlr riechman says:

I would like to purchase the nailgun how much? Please contact me on where to purchase wat retailer or contact me

41. franksutton says:

Very interested in buying the nail gun if its real and functional it would be great home repair gun and home protection and looks cool as hell great idea. Let me know ill take to dad would love this to show off at vfw.i can hear it now dam fellers look at this new weapon . Next gonna be a snapper gernade launcher. Thank but im serious on nail gun

42. Wow guys!! That’s a gun! Actually it’s an assault rifle! Of some type that happens to be described on the opposite side shown in the picture. But I’m going to get back to more important things in life than arguing over this like cleaning my m240b. Bleh.

43. DantheMan says:

And here is the original 2008 article with the creator, who also shows a pic of a gun he saw in 2003 that inspired him to dress up his M16.

• DantheMan says:

For the sake of your beaten down keyboards and probably yells of rage over what you “know” it is or isn’t. Learn to use the internet for its intended purpose. That’s why Al Gore created it. (Clearly that last line was a joke, least see who gets it)

44. weston777 says:

I don’t give a rats patuti what it is I want one !!

45. jason Yates says:

I want one of these guns . I will pay money. Please contact me. This is a SERIOUS INQUIRY!!! Sincerely, Jason Yates

46. I love the idea. I would buy one if it was ever built. Hummmm, I’ve got all the tools I need to do the job and if my crew gets out of line I’ll just nail them to the wall. Unharmed of corse lol

47. Tim Felton says:

How much does this cost?