Hornady announced three new loads in the Critical Defense line of ammunition:Â .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.Â Refer to the chart for specific loading information:
Claiming to be the “pinnacle in self defense ammunition,” Hornady lists the following benefits of the Critical Defense line of ammunition:
- Unaffected by thick and heavy clothing, including denim and leather.
- FTX bullet delivers superior controlled expansion and large, deep wound cavities over a wide range of velocities.
- Clean burning and stable propellants reduce recoil in lightweight handguns, and perform consistently in all temperatures.
- Minimal muzzle flash protects night vision.
- Feeds reliably in pistols.
- Shiny silver nickel plating prevents corrosion, and is easily visible in low light situations.
- Bullets are cannelured and crimped to avoid bullet setback.
- Bullets are custom designed for individual loads.
- The most effective, consistent, and reliable self-defense ammunition available today.
The Critical Defense line of ammunition has proved to be a solid performer, and the line has expanded even more to include such calibers as the 9×18 Makarov and the .22 WMR. Â The performance of the FTX bullets that Hornady loads in these rounds is excellent across a wide range of velocities and the loads are very reliable in many different firearms. Â Without a doubt, this line of ammunition is a real winner for the company.
Since the original introduction of these rounds, Hornady has also started a parallel line of ammo products called the Critical Duty line. Â The Critical Duty line of ammunition is designed for greater penetration and is marketed to law enforcement agencies. Â It meets all of the FBI testing protocols and offers the same reliable expansion and performance that people have come to expect from Hornady and the Critical Defense line. Â These rounds are all exceptional performers and do very well for anyone looking to defend themselves from a violent assault or attack on their person or on their family. Â Two thumbs up, so to speak.