The Iver Johnson 1911A1 Carbine is a new rifle that appears to mate a 1911 pistol to a AR-style rifle. Â It is chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge and looks like it retains all of the normal 1911 controls, grip safety and more.
The gun has a M4-style stock. Â Additionally, it looks to have aÂ removableÂ carry handle, removable front sight and a single Picatinny rail on the top of the rifle upper. Â From the photo, you can see there is a charging handle on the left side of the weapon. Â The barrel appears to be about 16″ in length. Â Pricing is already listed as $623.95 on some websites.
The same general thing has been tried before with kits that convert various pistols to carbines. Â Those kits include the Hera-Arms CPE, SIG Sauer ACP, and the CAA Tactical RONI. Â The Iver Johnson 1911A1 Carbine looks like it goes a step farther and makes the unit appear more permanently attached. Â Of course, that may not be accurate.
Iver Johnson did not immediately respond to an e-mail inquiry. Â When I obtain more information, I will share the details here.
So, what do you think? Â Is this something you would buy…or burn with fire?
Update 1: Â That Guy from the Rock in a Sea of Chaos blog sent us a link to the MechTech site. Â MechTech sells a carbine conversion unit (CCU) for the Glock and 1911 pistols. Â The MechTech units look exactly like the new Iver Johnson 1911A1 Carbine. Â See the photo below.
I am guessing that Iver Johnson is securing a quantity of the MechTech conversion kits and selling them as assembled units with their 1911 frames.
For comparison, the MechTech 1911 basic unit (no sights or rails) goes for $359.95. Â A monorail and M16-style sights will cost you an additional $119.85. Â Plus add in the cost of the M4-style stock, and a total price of about $625 for the Iver Johnson doesn’t sound bad at all. Â That’s assuming you would like one of these.
Update 2: Â I received an e-mail from Iver Johnson about the new carbine. Â According to the company, the gun will not come with the M4-style stock, full-length Picatinny rail or sights. Â Those items will be sold separately by the company. Â Additional details on the gun as provided:
- Upper unit is U.S. made by Mech-Tech Systems & the lower is an Iver Johnson model 1911A1
- 16.25â€ stainless steel barrel chamber in 45acp (other calibers soon to follow)
- Lower unit is a GI military style frame with GI style parts
- Overall weight as shown in picture: 8lbs 6ozs
- Overall length with M-4 collapsible stock: Min. 30.75in & Max. 34.50in
- Gun includes:
- Â 1 8rd. magazine
- Walnut, large diamond, checkered wood grips with engraved logo
- Synthetic, sure-grip, ribbed forend
- Short Â 6 notch picatinny rail, as pictured below, for mounting optics:
- Sold separately:
- M4 collapsible stock & stock adapter
- M16 style adj. frt. sight
- M16 carry handle adj. rear sight
- Full length picatinny mounting rail for sight attachments
- Many other accessories available through Mech-Tech Systems
8 replies on “Iver Johnson 1911A1 Carbine”
called a 1911 carbine because the Mech Tech CCU upper is desined to attach to a 1911 lower Mech tech’s other CCU is for the glock . they are working on one for the Springfield XD series.
why can i not find the 1911 LOWER UNIT for sale? there are scores of uppers for sale; in various calibers; but no lowers. can you tell me (& others) just where the lower unit can be bought? kindly write me at my email addy. thank you, angela pelavino