One of the primary missions of GunsHolstersAndGear.com is to bring you solid reviews of all kinds of shooting gear and accessories. We are known for in-depth gun reviews, but we review more than just guns. We provide you with all kinds of gear reviews.
Looking for a holster, cleaning kit or knife? You are likely to find our thoughts and views right here. We’ve tried to arrange all of the evaluations into broad categories to make them easier to find.
There are a lot of gun books on the market that offer a wealth of information from reloading to history. Some are good, some are great and a few are awful. We give you the details on the ones we have read.
- American Gun Book Review - I got an advanced copy of the new Chris Kyle book and was extremely impressed. It is well written, and the history is fascinating. I highly recommend buying or borrowing this book!
- Armed Response Book Review – This is a very good book that introduces someone to the fundamentals of self defense and the use of firearms for the same. The forward is written by Massad Ayoob, which lends credibility right out of the gate.
- Beating the Reaper Book Review - Dr. John Meade co-wrote this book with an overseas “operator.” If you carry a gun, you need to know how to patch up the holes, cuts and other injuries you are likely to receive when fighting for your life.
- Black Man with a Gun Book Review – Part history book, part firearms training book, Black Man with a Gun is a fantastic read. Check out my video review of the book here.
- Cartridges of the World Book Review - If you need an authoritative reference on modern and obsolete small arms cartridges, this is the book for you. It is a top shelf reference book and no library should be without it.
- Defensive Living Book Review – Defensive Living is an excellent book for anyone seeking to improve their personal safety. It is well written and an easy read. I highly recommend this for beginners, and think experienced shooters can learn a lot from it as well.
- In the Gravest Extreme Review – This book is considered by many people to be the seminal work on the use of handguns for personal defense. In the Gravest Extreme was written by Massad Ayoob and is a very good place for people to start when it comes to self-defense.
- Modern Reloading Book Review – We take a look at the book Modern Reloading writter by Richard Lee, the founder of Lee Precision. It takes a different approach to reloading that you are not likely to find in other reloading manuals.
- Shooter’s Bible to Cartridges Book Review – This book hits the same topic as Cartridges of the World (above), but with a totally different perspective. This book focuses on the most popular cartridges, rather than trying to be a complete reference. It also uses high quality, full color photos throughout the book.
- Standard Catalog of Remington Firearms Book Review – I take a look at this book and was disappointed by it. It is not a complete loss, but this book does not live up to the standard set by the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson book below.
- Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson: Book Review - A review of the authoritative tome on all things S&W. This book is a true encyclopedia on all guns and accessories sold under the Smith & Wesson brand.
- The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry Review - If you carry a firearm for personal protection, you need to know when you can lawfully use it and how to tactically deploy it. Mas Ayoob covers these and other topics in this “must have” handbook.
- The Mosin-Nagant Rifle Book Review - This is an excellent book on the Mosin-Nagant rifle, and a must for any collector of the guns. It has a lot of detailed information on production numbers, history and what all of those markings mean.
Cleaning and Lubrication Reviews
Cleaning your guns may be the dull side to shooting, but it is important to keep your guns cleaned and lubed properly. Failure to do so can mean the firearms fail you when you need them most. We give you our thoughts and observations on some of the cleaning gear and lubes we have tried.
- American Gun Oil Review – There seems to be a lot of new gun oils on the market. Some make crazy claims, but several are very good for lubrication and protection. We take a look at the new offering from American Gun Oil.
- Break Free Bore Cleaning Foam Review - A short article on the bore cleaning foam from Break Free. Can a foam really make gun cleaning easier? Absolutely. This foam does a very good job and exceeded my expectations.
- Gunslick Snap-n-Pull Shotgun Cleaning Kit Review - A close look at this portable cleaning kit for your shotgun. It fills a specific need that you might have.
- J Dewey AR-15 Field Cleaning Kit Review - We take a look at this high-quality cleaning kit that is 100% Made in the USA. J. Dewey makes some very high quality cleaning gear, and it is impressive.
- RAND CLP Review - I take the new gun oil for a spin, cleaning and lubing a couple of pistols. Best part? No funky smells! It goes on a little thicker, but does not gum up the works. But when you work the action, you’ll feel the difference.
- Remington Squeeg-E Cleaning Kit Review - Aaron gives us a detailed review of the Remington Squeeg-E cleaning kit. This is a complete kit that gives you everything you could reasonably need.
Having a flashlight should be a little like having a pocket knife – keep one with you all the time. We review hand held and weapon mounted flashlights right here.
- DeWalt 1AAT Flashlight Review - Need a small, inexpensive flashlight that won’t break the budget? Take a look at the DeWalt 1AAT. Seriously. For the money, it is a great light and mine has been used for several years without a single problem.
- DeWalt 3D LED Flashlight Review - Would you believe I replaced my police department issued MagCharger with this DeWalt? I did. It works very well and has proved to be quite durable. It runs on D-cell batteries and throws a lot of light.
- DeWalt DPGA-3AAA LED Flashlight Review - Another DeWalt flashlight review? Yes – the first two lights I looked at were so good, I figured I would try a third. This one now rides shotgun in my truck.
- Elzetta ZFH1500 Review – This is not a flashlight review, but a review of a simple, affordable and rugged mount for adding a high-intensity light to your AR-15. It works very well and is easy to install.
- Streamlight Strion LED HL – If you need a rechargeable flashlight that is very bright (500 lumens!) and is durable enough to be carried in a pocket or mounted on an M-4, you might want to take a look at the Strion LED HL. It is an impressive package.
- Streamlight TLR-1s HP Review - Evaluation of this exceptionally bright weapon mounted light. We test this on an AR-15 rifle, and the performance is incredible.
- Streamlight TLR-2 Review – We take a look at the updated version of the Streamlight TLR-2 with the red laser aiming unit. This unit upgrades the white light output of the flashlight.
- Streamlight TLR-2 G Review - If you are in need of a white light/laser combo for your pistol, take a look at this new rig from Streamlight. It uses a 200 lumen light and a powerfully bright green laser.
- Streamlight TLR-4 Review - This is a compact version of the company’s weapon light/laser combo unit. Mine performed exceptionally well, and I wholeheartedly recommend it if you are in the market for such a device.
Looking for the straight info on a particular gun? Check out our gun reviews below. Every one of these guns we have shot and we give you our honest thoughts on them. Some worked great, others had problems. Read about them before you spend a dime on one.
- ATI Polymer AR-15 Lower Review - Want a stripped lower for $50? A complete lower for less than $130? Check out this polymer AR-15 lower from ATI. I did have a few problems with it initially (which I completely show how to fix), but is has been a very good performer.
- Bersa BP9CC Review - Impressive is the word that I can use to describe this very slim self defense handgun from Bersa. This is the first Bersa that I have owned and I am very happy with it.
- Charter Arms Off Duty Review – We review Charter Arm’s take on the hammerless .38 Special revolver. When going head-to-head with the legendary Smith & Wesson 642, this handgun holds its own.
- CZ P-07 Duty Review - Good quality and a reasonable price best describe this polymer-framed evolution of the CZ 75 pistol. I did find a few flaws that you need to know about before purchase.
- Diamondback DB9 Review - Small and reliable is what I found the DB9 to be. I’ve heard reports of problems from some others, but not with this one. It does have one drawback that you may not like for self-defense purposes. Read the article if you are thinking about buying one.
- Gen 4 Glock Review: Evolution, not Revolution - The Gen 4 Glock pistols incorporate some nice new features, including the ability to adjust the grip size. But, if you are happy with a prior generation of Glock, you probably won’t want to upgrade.
- IWI Tavor Review – The Tavor rifle is now being imported from Israel and has really captured the attention of the shooters in the US. Aaron had a chance to shoot the carbine and gives us this review.
- Kahr CM9 Review - The CM9 is a subcompact 9mm that uses the famous Kahr trigger. It is designed as a less expensive alternative to other guns in the Kahr line, but performs just as well.
- Remington 783 Review – Aaron goes hands on with the new budget hunting rifle from Remington, and comes away impressed. The 783 is a solid gun that could redefine the budget category.
- Ruger LCR Review - Who said the pocket revolver market was stale? The Ruger LCR is an amazing re-imagining of the classic “hammerless” revolver design. It is light and easy recoiling.
- SIG SAUER P224 Review - Running the new P224 was a lot of fun. The gun shoots easy and was utterly reliable on the range. It is worthy of the name SIG Sauer.
- SIG SAUER P226 E2 Review - I don’t know if I can say enough about how great the E2 enhancements are to the SIG P226 pistol. If you like these handguns, you will love the new E2.
- SIG Sauer P226R Review - An evolution of the original P226, the P226R adds an accessory rail and the E2 enhancements introduced by the company several years ago. This is a solid combat handgun.
- SIG Sauer P227 Review – We had a chance to spend some time on the range with the new SIG P227 pistol. The gun is a clone of the P226, but chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge.
- SIG Sauer P290RS Enhanced Pistol Review – This is a premium version of the P290 RS pistols made by SIG. It is a double-action-only handgun with a polymer frame and real sights. We liked this one.
- Smith & Wesson M&P Core Pistol Review – We go hands-on with the Smith & Wesson CORE pistol with a Trijicon RMR sight. The new CORE handguns are specially designed for optics.
- Smith & Wesson SD40 Review - The SD40 is possibly the best value in a home defense pistol. The gun runs flawlessly, feels great in the hand, and is very affordable. I don’t know how S&W can make such a great gun at such a great price.
- Springfield XD-S 45 Review – This is the original XD-S pistol and is chambered in the big-bore .45 ACP cartridge. Aaron goes hands-on with the gun and talks to Rob Letham about this little pistol.
- Springfield XDS 9mm Review - Springfield Armory expanded the XDS line of pistols with this 9mm subcompact. The handling is great, the recoil light and it fits all of the holsters already made for the existing XDS .45 pistol.
- T/C Venture Compact Rifle Review – Aaron takes a shot at the T/C Venture Compact rifle in this review. Bottom line: it performs very well and has some great features.
- Taurus 709 SLIM Review - I’ve always read about Taurus having good customer service, but my experience was not good after I had to send this gun back for repairs just to get through the testing. Don’t buy until you read this review.
- Taurus 740 SLIM Review - A tiny gun chambered for the high-pressure .40 S&W cartridge. That’s a lot of bang in a small package, but is there much bang for the buck in this subcompact pistol? You want to read this before buying one.
- Taurus 905 Review: 9mm Revolver - Revolvers for rimless calibers are somewhat unusual, but they tend to have a tight group of enthusiasts. Is the 905 worthy of a following? We take a close look at this Taurus revolver.
- Winchester Model 1873 Review – The classic Model 1873 levergun from Winchester is back and Aaron reviews it. Not only is it a good shooter, it is a beautiful rifle.
If you carry a gun for self defense, having a quality holster is an absolute necessity. A cheap scabbard that fails to secure your weapon can be worse than having no weapon at all.
- Beretta Nano Holsters – We have put together a complete list of holsters that are available for the Beretta Nano. Our thoughts on each model are included.
- Bianchi Model 7 Shadow II Holster Review - This is a leather, belt-slide holster with a thumb break. The leather is a rich color and has worn very well. Best part: the reasonable price.
- Blue Ridge Holsters Camo Hybrid Review - If you need a quality concealed carry holster that is still affordable and made right here in the USA by a small business, read this review. The Blue Ridge holsters might be just what you are looking for.
- DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster Review - The Nemesis is possibly the most used pocket holster in the country. It does a good job and is very affordable. We ran into just a few small problems with it, and detail them in the article.
- DeSantis Nemesis Review: A Second Look at the Pocket Holster - We did a follow up review on the Nemesis when they released an updated version of the holster. DeSantis fixed all of the small problems we identified in the original and we could find no fault in this version.
- Galco Summer Comfort Holster Review – The Summer Comfort holster is an inside-the-waistband holster from Galco. We take one for a test drive using a Glock 19 pistol.
- Kholster IWB Concealment Holster Review - The Kholster is a tuckable, inside-the-waistband holster with a leather backer and kydex scabbard. While not perfect, this holster did a good job and is affordable.
- Kholster Review – A Second Look - We take another look at the Kholster with a second holster and different reviewer.
- RKBA Holsters - RKBA is making high quality leather holsters, and we take a look at two of them we recently ordered. You probably want to read this before spending any money on a CCW holster.
- Ruger SR9c Holsters – A comprehensive round-up of scabbards for the Ruger SR9c pistol. We’ve got all kinds of holsters listed for this gun and where you can get them.
- SIG Sauer P250 Holsters – Looking for a SIG P250 holster? This list was made for you. Our thoughts on each of the models.
- Tagua Gunleather Holster Review - These imported leather holsters can be found for relatively cheap prices in many gun stores. But, are they worth the price? Although not perfect, they seem to be a good value.
- Uncle Mike’s Kydex Holster Review - Uncle Mike’s made their business in nylon gear, but they have since branched out into kydex. These holsters are priced affordably and widely available.
- Walther PK380 Holsters – If you own a PK380, we’ve got your list of holsters. Get our take on all of these scabbards.
A quality blade can be a good everyday tool or a life saver in an emergency. From survival knives to fighting folders, we give you our thoughts on these cutting tools.
- Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife Review – Bear Grylls is known for being a rugged outdoorsman and an expert in wilderness survival. Does the blade bearing his name live up to his reputation?
- BLACKHAWK! Be-Wharned Knife Review - The Be-Wharned knife proved to be incredibly sharp and durable. It is a Michael Janich design, and is a wicked fighting folder.
- Browning Black Label Shadowfax Knife – Aaron takes a look at this premium, fixed-blade knife.
- CRKT Foresight Knife Review - Aaron takes a look at a Ken Onion designed knife in this essential gun gear review. You’ve got to have a good blade (or three) to handle any number of chores throughout the day.
- Gerber Swagger Knife Review - This is one of the many knife reviews we have done at GunsHolstersAndGear.com. Gerber is an old name in the industry, and this knife illustrates why they have been around for a long time.
- Kershaw Asset Knife Review - Kershaw is making a lot of quality knives at affordable price points. The Asset is one of those knives. I like the Compound (below) a little better, but this is still a quality knife.
- Kershaw Compound Knife Review - This is an incredibly good value for a folding knife. Lots of photos in this Kershaw review. For what it is worth, this one is my daily work knife. It has held up great.
- Smith & Wesson ExtremeOps CK5TBS Knife Review - How does this inexpensive folder stand up? Can it take a beating and still be relied on? We take a hard look.
Survival Gear Reviews
This is a list of all of the survival gear we have reviewed at GHG. We are making an effort to drastically expand this section in the coming months.
- ASAP Survival Sidekick Bug Out Bag Review - Need a pre-made BOB? The ASAP Survival Sidekick is worth considering. Lots of photos and details on the contents. It is not perfect, but it is a good base.
- CRKT Eat’n Tool - This lightweight and handy tool is the perfect addition to anyone’s hunting or camping pack. It also makes an excellent addition to a bug out bag.
- CRKT Parasaw - An overview of the new survival tool from CRKT. It is a paracord bracelet with a wire saw wound into the cordage.
- MTM Case-Gard Survivor Ammo Can Review – If you have thought about burying some gear or supplies for use at a later date, you want to take a look at the Survivor Ammo Can from MTM. This can is designed to be buried for a long period of time and protect the contents from moisture.
- MTM Survivor Ammo Can Video Demo and Follow Up – I put together a video showing you how this can assembles. Then I dig a hole and drop it in. We will dig it up later and see how it did. For now, check out how this thing goes together.
Other Gun Gear Reviews
These are reviews all of the shooting and outdoor related gear not listed in one of the above categories. Some of these items will be moved into separate eventually, but for now you can find them all right here.
- 5.11 Gun Belt Review – If you carry a gun, you need a holster. Just as importantly you need a quality gun belt to hold that gun and holster in place. Fortunately, 5.11 has a quality line of gun belts that are affordable.
- Caldwell E-MAX Electronic Hearing Protection Review – The E-MAX line of ear pro from Caldwell is an exceptional value. It is very reasonably priced and provides very good electronic amplification. This is probably the best value in hearing protection on the market.
- Field & Stream HydroProof ULTRA Review – Aaron hits the woods for some bow hunting with his HydroProof ULTRA gear. How did it perform? Check this article out before spending any more money on hunting clothing.
- Gripwell Review for the AR-15 – Want a better way to hold on to the mag well of your AR? Take a look at the Gripwell.
- Howard Leight Impact Pro Earmuffs – These electronic earmuffs offer the highest level of noise reduction that I can find under $100. They work extremely well, and are well suited for pistol shooters. Rifle shooters may want to consider the Impact Sport muffs below.
- Howard Leight Impact Sport Earmuffs – Looking for quality electronic ear pro? These muffs may work for you, but I did run into a problem. But at less than $50, is that drawback enough to skip them? I think they are worth the money, but you be the judge.
- Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4×20 Scope Review – Field test and evaluation of the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 rifle scopes. These optics are a great addition to any AR being used for hunting or precision shooting.
- Magpul iPhone 5 Field Case Review – Inexpensive, lightweight, tactical looking and available in colors from pink to flat dark earth…what’s not to like?
- Magpul PMAG Review – We take a quick look at the 30 round AR-15 magazines from Magpul. We found them to be excellent mags and worked great in our guns.
- RCBS Rotary Case Media Separator Review – I review the rotary case-media separator from RCBS. This manually powered unit does an excellent job of separating tumbling media from your brass. I like mine a lot.
- Remington RF-05 Hunting Boots Review – If you are looking for a waterproof, leather hunting boot good for all weather conditions, take a look at these Remington boots. We found them to be durable and comfortable.
- SensGard SG31 Hearing Protection Review – Protecting your hearing is exceptionally important. Are the SensGard products up to the task? This ear pro uses a different way of attenuating noise, and we found it works very well. However, they are not perfect. Read the full article for the details.
- Tango Down ARC-L Magazine Review – Tango Down is making polymer AR-15 magazines that are a one-piece design. This is said to improve feeding through the use of shapes not available from magazines that can be disassembled.
- Tapco AR-15 Polymer Magazine Review – We take a look at these inexpensive, polymer AR-15 magazines from Tapco.
- Winchester White Box Ammo Review – Possibly the most controversial review on the site, we take a very dim view of the Winchester white box ammo.
If there is a gun or some piece of kit that you would like to see reviewed, let us know! The writers here are always looking to provide you with reviews that benefit you. So, if there is something you want to see, sound off!
Surviving the Street: Guide to Concealed Carry of a Firearm
Essential information on concealed carry. This book has just the basics - not a lot of fluff to get bogged down in. Easy to read, Surviving the Street introduces the reader to the important information you need as an armed citizen.
The author presents frank information about self defense in a way that is easy to understand and use.